2013 Chevrolet Cruze Customer Review from Kansas CIty, KansasJuly 22, 2015
2011 Chrysler 300 Customer Review from Victoria, KansasJuly 22, 2015
By: Lora Crouch
It’s time to take a Family Vacation but you are in a deli-ma of what to do with your Fur Babies. You could have a neighbor look in on them or you could even board them (If you have the money to invest in that). Here is a thought…. you could take them with you!!! They are like family after all and they deserve to get out of the house too! Before you venture out with them however, you do need to make sure and be prepared! I have provided a quick reference checklist for you and read further for some great tips of some commonly forgotten preparations!
That quick reference will get you started on what to take to keep your Fur Baby calm and content while traveling but here are a few more helpful tips to keep in mind…
- Safety should always be first- you always want to make sure and follow the laws on the proper way to travel with your pet. You can research the laws of whatever States you may be traveling through and also research your many options on safe travel. Did you know they actually have Seat Belts for pets? That sounds crazy but their safety is just as important as yours and your families!
- Don’t forget to research places your Fur Baby can go. There are some places that will refuse pets all together and the places that do allow pets may have a weight limit.They may be against your 200 lb Fur Baby visiting their location.
- Never ever let your Pet ride with their head out the window! This is for obvious reasons! Would you let your Child ride like this?
- Never leave your pet unattended in a vehicle especially on hot days!
- You want to always place your pet on a leash before you let them out of the vehicle for any reasons!
These were my tips for you but let me go a little further and provide you with a few tips from a vet!
These tips are things I wouldn’t have even thought of….
- If you have a cat to take with you and the trip is going to be long…make a small litter box for them to use along the way.
- Don’t forget that Dog Friendly towel for those adventurous moments!
- Everyone knows how Dogs love new toys so buy your Dog a new toy for the road. This will keep them entertained for a while.
- Prior to a long trip give your Dog a great exercise: A tired Dog will be less anxious and nervous and in the long run ride better.
- As soon as you get to your location take your Dog on a walk to keep their nerves under control.
- Bring your vaccination and medical records for your pet. This will save you time and money in the long run if they get hurt or sick.
- Bring a photo. if you get separated from your Fur Baby you will want to have something to pass around so you can be reunited.
Does your Fur Baby not handle Motion very well?
Not to worry… here are some Remedies and Medicines to help ease their discomfort.
- Tea mixed with their dry food
- Curing Pills
- Lavender Oil: Place a few drops on a cloth in your vehicle or their crate.
- Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) or Feliway for Cats: This sends out a calming pheromone derived from a compound secreted from mothers milk to relax them.
- Dramamine or Meclizine: For a 20lb Dog they would take 50mg an hour before travel.
- Benadryl: A small dog or cat can take 12.5mg every 4-8 hours and a large dog can start at 25mg
- Cerenia: 1 dose will last up to 24 hours
If you travel frequently with your pet you may want to look in to getting a pet friendly vehicle! Subaru’s are a great choice for this due to they have special equipment specifically made to fit their vehicles to best keep your Fur Baby safe! We have a great selection to choose from of Subaru’s here at Woody’s Automotive Group!I hope these tips will help you and your Fur Baby have a safe, fun, and relaxing time together!